Leuven's Town Hall is one of the best-known Gothic town halls worldwide and Leuven's pride and joy. It took three architects and thirty years to build it.
Leuven's 'Hall of Fame' features 236 statues, which were only added to the façade after 1850. There are 220 men and 16 women in total. On the bottom floor are famous Leuven scientists, artists and historical figures, dressed in Burgundian garb. The first floor is reserved for the patron saints of the various parishes of Leuven. Above them the façade is adorned by the counts and dukes of Brabant while the towers primarily feature biblical figures.
These days the town hall merely has a ceremonial function after the city's administrative services moved in 2009. The tourist information center is situated on the side of the Town Hall.
For individual visitors:
• every day at 3 p.m. (except on 01/01 and 25/12)
• price: € 4 (guided tour + booklet)
• holders of a NMBS ticket or pass: € 2
• tickets: available at Tourism Leuven, Naamsestraat 3
• more information: firstname.lastname@example.org