Stay of more than 3 months


If you, as a resident from outside the EU, want to come to Belgium for more than three months, you will probably require a type D visa. A visa is a sticker that is placed in your passport at the consulate. It grants permission to stay in Belgium for a specific period.

There are different kinds of type D visas. The procedure to be followed depends upon, among other things, the purpose for your trip to Belgium (work, school, family reunification, etc.).

There is a more flexible procedure for EU citizens. An identity card or passport is sufficient for them.

Requesting your visa

You personally request your visa at the Belgian embassy or Belgian consulate in the country in which you live. They will also provide you with more information on the type of visa you need and the conditions for obtaining that visa.

Further information

You can find all the information on the visas for Belgium on the FPS Foreign Affairs website. You can also always request information from the local Belgian embassy or consulate.

Registration in the city registry

Register as soon as possible after you arrive in Belgium. This is only possible if you are already living at your Leuven address.

Foreigners from outside the EU must have first obtained their type D visa from the Belgian embassy in order to be registered.

How to register?

During the period in which measures against the corona virus are in force, preferably you submit this application by email.
  • Email
  • Subject line of the email: 'residence application' + your name (as stated on your national identity card or passport) + national registration number, if any
  • Attach the following documents (in PDF format, scanned separately):
    • EU/EEA citizen: national identity card (front and back) or national passport (biodata page)
    • Non-EU/EEA citizen: 
      • National passport (biodata page + all printed pages)
      • If any: visa or residence card of another EU member state (front and back)
    • The documents required for the application (e.g. host agreement, registration in an educational institution, birth certificate, ...). You will need a legalised copy and a Dutch translation by a sworn translator for certain documents drawn up abroad (e.g. deeds, documents from local administrations, etc.).
    • 1 passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old)
  • Mention the following information in the email:
    • Surname, given name(s) (as stated on your national identity card or passport)
    • Date and place of birth
    • Nationality
    • Address in Leuven
    • Reason for the application
    • Belgian phone number
      If you do not have a Belgian phone number, please provide the Belgian phone number of a contact person, mentioning their name
    • Date of entry into Belgium
Pay attention
  • If you are submitting an application for more than one person, you must send one email per person. The attached documents may only relate to that person.
  • Only complete files will be processed.
Prefer not to apply by email?
Make an appointment

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.