Stay of more than 3 months (registration)
If you are coming to Belgium for a stay of more than 3 months, you may require a type D visa and you must register yourself in the city registry.
If you want to come to Belgium for more than 3 months and you are a non-EU/EEA national, you may require a type D visa. A visa is a sticker which is placed in your passport by the Belgian consulate, granting permission to stay in Belgium for a specific period.
How to request?
Personally at the Belgian embassy or Belgian consulate in the country where you live.
They will provide you with more information about the type of visa you need (depending on the purpose of your stay, e.g. work, school, family reunification ...) and the conditions.
You can find all the information regarding type D visas for Belgium on the FPS Foreign Affairs website.
Registration in city registry
Register as soon as possible after you arrive in Belgium. This is only possible if you are already living at your Leuven address.
How to register?
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject line of the email: 'residence application' + your name (as stated on your national identity card or passport) + national registration number, if any
- Attach the following documents (in PDF format, scanned separately):
- EU/EEA citizen: national identity card (front and back) or national passport (biodata page)
- Non-EU/EEA citizen:
- National passport (biodata page + all printed pages)
- If any: visa or residence card of another EU member state (front and back)
- The documents required for the application, depending on your immigration status (e.g. annex 46/47, host agreement, birth certificate, marriage certificate ...). Some documents which have been drawn up abroad (e.g. deeds, local authority documents, etc.) require legalisation and a Dutch translation by a sworn translator.
- 1 passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old)
- Mention the following information in the email:
- Surname, given name(s) (as stated on your national identity card or passport)
- Date and place of birth
- Address in Leuven
- Reason for the application
- Belgian phone number
If you do not have a Belgian phone number, please provide the Belgian phone number of a contact person, mentioning their name
- Date of entry into Belgium
Make an appointment