Stay of more than 3 months (registration)

If you are coming to Belgium for a stay of more than 3 months, you may require a type D visa and you must register yourself in the city registry.

Registration foreign students
Are you coming to Belgium to study at a Belgian university or college? Then you register yourself as a foreign student: 

Renewal of residency
Are you a non-EU/EEA national and do you need to apply for renewal of your residency? In this case, a different procedure applies:


If you want to come to Belgium for more than 3 months and you are a non-EU/EEA national, you may require a type D visa. A visa is a sticker which is placed in your passport by the Belgian consulate, granting permission to stay in Belgium for a specific period.

How to apply?

Personally at the Belgian embassy or Belgian consulate in the country where you live.

They will provide you with more information about the type of visa you need (depending on the purpose of your stay, e.g. work, studies, family reunification ...) and the conditions.

Further information

You can find all the information regarding type D visas for Belgium on the FPS Foreign Affairs website

Registration in city registry

Register as soon as possible after you arrive in Belgium. This is only possible if you are already living at your Leuven address.

How to register?

Due to the measures to slow down the coronavirus, you may only submit this application by email. 
  • Email
  • Subject line of the email: 'residence application' + your name (as stated on your national identity card or passport) + national registration number, if any
  • Attach the following documents (in PDF format, scanned separately):
    • EU/EEA citizen: national identity card (front and back) or national passport (biodata page), scan must be in colour
    • Non-EU/EEA citizen: 
      • National passport (biodata page + all printed pages)
      • If any: visa or residence card of another EU member state (front and back)
    • The documents required for the application, depending on your immigration status (e.g. annex 46/47, host agreement, birth certificate, marriage certificate ...). Some documents which have been drawn up abroad (e.g. deeds, local authority documents, etc.) require legalisation and a Dutch translation by a sworn translator.
    • If you submit an application on behalf of a third party: a signed power of attorney from this person.
    • 1 passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old)
  • Mention the following information in the email:
    • Surname, given name(s) (as stated on your national identity card or passport)
    • Date and place of birth
    • Nationality
    • Address in Leuven
    • Reason for the application
    • Belgian phone number
      If you do not have a Belgian phone number, please provide the Belgian phone number of a contact person, mentioning their name
    • Date of entry into Belgium
Pay attention
  • If you are submitting an application for more than one person, you must send one email per person. The attached documents may only relate to that person.
  • Only complete files will be processed.

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.