Stay of more than 3 months: registration non-EU/EEA

Are you coming to Belgium for a stay of more than 3 months? Then you must register yourself in the city registry as soon as possible. You may require a type D visa. 

Registration foreign students
Are you coming to Belgium to study at a Belgian university or college? In this case, a different procedure applies.

Renewal of residency
Are you a non-EU/EEA national and do you need to apply for renewal of your residency? In this case, a different procedure applies:


If you want to come to Belgium for more than 3 months and you are a non-EU/EEA national, you may require a type D visa. A visa is a sticker which is placed in your passport by the Belgian consulate, granting permission to stay in Belgium for a specific period.

How to apply?

Personally at the Belgian embassy or Belgian consulate in the country where you live.

They will provide you with more information about the type of visa you need (depending on the purpose of your stay, e.g. work, studies, family reunification ...) and the conditions.

Further information

You can find all the information regarding type D visas for Belgium on the FPS Foreign Affairs website

Registration if you have come to Belgium with a type D visa

You submit your application by email. This is only possible if you are already living at your permanent address in Leuven.

After an address check by a local police officer and further processing of your application by the city, you will be invited to apply for your residence card.

Due to the measures to slow down the coronavirus, you may only submit this application by email. 
  • Email
  • Subject line of the email: 'residence application' + your name (as stated on your national identity card or passport) + national registration number, if any
  • Attach the following documents (in PDF format, scanned separately):
    • National passport:
      • Biodata page
      • Page containing the visa (type D)
      • Page containing the entry stamp (if it does not appear on the visa page)
    • The documents required for the application, depending on your immigration status (e.g. annex 46/47, host agreement, birth certificate, marriage certificate ...). 
      Attention: Some official documents which have been drawn up abroad (e.g. certificates, documents from local authorities, etc.) require legalisation and a Dutch, French, German or English translation by a sworn translator.
    • Rental contract (if available)
    • If you submit an application on behalf of a third party: a signed power of attorney from this person.
    • 1 passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old)
  • Mention the following information in the email:
    • Surname, given name(s) (as stated on your national identity card or passport)
    • Date and place of birth
    • Nationality
    • Full address in Leuven, including any ‘busnummer’ (flat/room number)
      You must already reside here.
    • Reason for the application
    • Belgian phone number
      If you do not have a Belgian phone number, please provide the Belgian phone number of a contact person, mentioning their name
    • Date of entry into Belgium
Pay attention
  • If you are submitting an application for more than one person, you must send one email per person. The attached documents may only relate to that person.
  • Only complete files will be processed.

Registration if you have come to Belgium without a type D visa or with a valid residence permit of another EU country

  1. Register yourself as a tourist in short-stay.
    State in your application that you wish to submit an application for 'authorisation for a long-term stay' (as employee, self-employed person or researcher, or in family reunification).
  2. We will provide you with the necessary information regarding your authorisation application.
  3. Before the period of your short stay expires, you submit your application for long stay, as outlined above
You should preferably come to Belgium with a type D visa. Contact the Belgian embassy in this regard. If you still prefer to apply for your visa in Belgium, we would like to point out that the application procedure can take a long time, and that the municipal authorities or the FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, may refuse the visa application.

Application for a change of your residency status

Are you already legally residing in Belgium, and do you wish to change your residency status? In that case, contact the non-Belgians office for more information.

In order to submit your application for a change of status, follow this procedure.

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.