Register or exchange a foreign driving licence (EU and non-EU licences)

If you plan to drive a car, motorbike or other motorized vehicle in Belgium, it is necessary to either register or exchange your non-Belgian licence. Since the registration or exchange is complex and every case is different, you need to visit the driving licence department, located at the city office, in person (by appointment only).

How to register or exchange your foreign driving license?

You make the application at the municipality where you are registered. You can only do the application yourself. You make an appointment at the city office.

If you are not in Belgium, you can only make an appointment by phone.

Make an appointment

What do you need to bring?

  • Your Belgian residence permit
  • Your non-Belgian driving licence


  • The registration (for EU driving licences only) is free of charge.
  • The exchange of a non-Belgian licence costs 30 euro.

Attention points

  • The procedure may take 4 to 6 weeks.
  • In some cases additional documents (e.g. a Dutch translation done by an accredited translator) are necessary.
  • For holders of a recognised non-EU driving licence only:
    • You are only allowed to drive in Belgium during the 185 days after registration.
    • After those 185 days, the exchange to a Belgian driving licence is necessary. Using the non-EU driving licence in Belgium will no longer be allowed.
AttentionIs your foreign driving license about to expire?
In that case it is always necessary to book an appointment before expiration date, even if the 185 days after registration in Belgium are not over yet.

Do you have a question?

Contact us. We are happy to help you.

Call us

016 27 21 90

Mail us
We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.