After reporting a death, we prepare an official document, a death certificate. You can request a copy of it online.
How do you apply?
At the city or municipality where the death took place.
- Husband or wife, legal cohabitant, legal representative (e.g. parent or guardian) or relatives in the ascending and descending line or heirs of the deceased
- Lawyers and notaries
- Others, upon authorisation of the persons to whom the deed relates (for deeds under 50 years of age)
- If the persons to whom the deed relates are deceased: one of the heirs
Free of charge.
When will you get the document?
- If you apply yourself using your electronic identity card
You usually receive the document immediately in your mailbox.
- If you apply for someone else using your electronic identity card
You will receive the document in your mailbox after verification.
- If you apply without using your electronic identity card
You will receive the document after about five working days at your official address.
Document for abroad
To use the document abroad, in some cases you need it legalised.
Deeds more than 100 years old can be found at the City Archives.