Moving to or in Leuven: applying for an address change
If you are moving to Leuven or within Leuven, you need to declare your new address to the city office.
You can declare your address change online. After a check by the local police officer, you will be invited to the city office to update your documents (by appointment).
When to declare?
Latest 8 working days after your move.
Who can declare an address change?
- Any person older than 18 years.
- For minors: a parent or a guardian.
- Any person older than 18 years can do the declaration for his/her whole family.
Who cannot declare an address change?
You are a non-Belgian who:
- Is arriving in or returning to Leuven from abroad. You will need to complete a registration process at the city office:
- Will be absent from Belgium for maximum 1 year. You need to apply for the right to return.
How to declare?
Having problems with the online declaration?
After the online declaration
The local police officer will come and check whether you are staying at the declared address.
Updating your address after the police check (by appointment)
After the check by the local police, you will receive an invitation to come to the city office and update the address on the chip of your identity card or residence permit. You will need to make an appointment for this update.
What to bring to your appointment?
Identity card, kids-ID or residence permit of each family member (with the corresponding pin- and puk-codes).
Free of charge